Monday, January 16, 2017

Is My Workout God's Calling?

I'll be 42 next month, and let's just say that taking a year (or more) off of working out and eating healthy doesn't look the same at 42 as it did at 29...

I've been "athletic" my entire life. It's in my genes. And yes, I am blessed. However, starting fresh this morning was rough. I think I could feel the shakiness of my lungs after 10 minutes. It was not pleasant. I'm already feeling the soreness after the workout. I'm sure I won't be walking normal tomorrow. But I had to start somewhere. When I say I "had" to, it's not because of the physical reasons - gained weight, fatigue, that soft tire of flab developing in my mid section, arms, thighs, etc... Those are definite reasons, but not my reason.

This time around I don't have physical goals. I'm not training for a 1/2 marathon (or even a 5k). I'm not stepping on the scale and measuring inches. (As a side note, other than for the wrestlers in my family, I do not believe in the scale. Ever.) I'm not running challenge groups (Dear Beachbody) or doing it to try and make sales. My only inspiration this time around is for how I want "Me" to reflect on others.

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in your midst? 
If anyone destroys God's temple, god will destroy that person; for God's temple is sacred, 
and you together are that temple." ~1 Cor. 3:16-17

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit,
who is in you, whom you have received from God?
You are not your own." ~1 Cor 6:19

I spent all of 2016 in a "funk" to say the least. No motivation. No inspiration. Too busy for anything and most everything. I started drinking Diet Coke again, started eating fast food and junk again. Quit working out. Quit doing devotions. Watched too much TV. Quit reading. Yep... in 2016 I let my life spiral down the toilet. 

But with all my better choices and goals that I am making, fueling my body and spirit are top on my list. Balancing my time, partially by staying off facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram, etc... (there are way too many social media sites now) and by limiting the time spent vegging on the couch, I can find all kinds of ways to fit in what 2016 was lacking. 

Finding time for devotions, reading and just being in prayer will help fill that spiritual and emotional hole. Filling this hole will allow me to go out and be that better person, just as working out my muscles and body will allow me to have the energy to do what I need to do. 

"Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, 
it will be just as full of light as when a lamp shines its light on you."
Luke 11:36

I can't say that I've ever fully realized what specifically "My Purpose" on this world is. Mom, wife, friend, cheerleader and motivator, volunteer... I've had these roles, but what defines me? And maybe this is something we should continually ask ourselves anyway as our purpose likely changes everyday. Maybe some days my purpose is just to get my family to school and work. Maybe other days it's paying it forward to an unknown stranger. Maybe other times, it's being that listening ear for friends and family. But what I do know, is this: 

"it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. Do everything without grumbling"
 [yes, even the dirty laundry, dishes, puke clean up, and washing of nasty 
smelly football and wrestling uniforms] 
"or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault
in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky." 
Phil 2:13-15

I know that for me to shine in my purpose, whatever that may be, that I need to seek God's voice. I don't know his plans, but I know that they are good. I just have to fill my body and my soul with what is good and pleasing. So, at 41 going on 42, starting a workout program was pure torture. But if it enriches this temple to do God's work, I'm all in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment