Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Ooops Moments..

I was just inspired by my friend Denise - Life With Four Boys - to share my Ooops Moment from this summer, since she shared hers!

This cute little guy is RUDY. He is our almost 11 month old "beabull" puppy. He is half beagle and half english bulldog. His attitude is almost all bulldog. And besides the little bit longer nose/ears, he is 45lbs of pure muscle. We call him our beagle on steroids...

This cute little thing was the monster behind one of my most embarrassing moments EVER.  He looks all cute an innocent (even when caught with evidence hanging from his mouth).


We were at my youngest sons baseball game. He begged and begged to bring Rudy. I heard a lot of "he'll be good", "he loves other people", "he loves other dogs"... which in general is all very true. However, what we didn't put together was HOW MUCH he loved other dogs. We were playing at an away game that is our "closest rival". There were lots of fans there that day. We picked a spot right next to our boys dugout so Rudy could be near the boys between innings, more so so he wouldn't cry because he couldn't see our son (this pup has separation issues). That convenient location was also all the way around the other side, so walking to that spot you walk around the backstop and the other teams side. 

Halfway through the game, Rudy is getting anxious. Our son is out in the outfield and he (the dog) can't see him to well (he was fine when he was pitching/catching). So I decided to take him for a walk, distract him while they were in the field. This ended up being a LONG inning. After about 10 minutes or so of trying to distract him, we headed back to our seats. A long the fence that we walk past are two little (you know the so little I can put in my purse type puppies) puppies just yipping away as we walk towards them. Rudy is wagging his tailless butt so hard his whole body is wagging with JOY. Friends!  What he doesn't realize is one lick from him could knock these puppies into tomorrow.  So, being the good dog owner I am, and not wanting him to check out other dogs in public. I decide to keep him close to me. His leash was too long though so I decided just to hang onto his collar. 

Rudy is maybe 15" tall at most. I am 5'7". So, just imagine, I am bent over hanging onto his collar, walking between all kinds of camp chairs where people have camped out to watch the game. As I begin to think we are in the clear, almost past the yipping puppies, he lunges. He practically pulls my shoulder out of socket. But I don't let go. What I did was get pulled onto my knees, then I rolled as the dog tried lunging again, with my hand twisted in his collar. Right. Behind. The. Backstop. I ended up on my derriere, with dirt and gravel clinging to me, with my hair sticking out of my clip, my face beet red, and my arm twisted at a weird angle trying to hang on. The worse part. I went to stand up and couldn't. I was in such a weird position that standing from it was not possible. So, I had to first sit up right (after my first attempt at standing failed me), then stand up, while still trying to hang on to the dog. A few of the other parents from the other team showed concern (inside I'm sure they were laughing their butts off). I dusted myself off, pushed my hair out of my face and proceeded to go back and sit down, just to hear my husband asking the guy next to him, "whose wife is that??" Thanks. 

Then as the inning ends (of course right as I'm getting to my seat), I hear all these little boy voices, "Mrs. Slaughter! We saw you fall!" I guess they thought it was cool.. or funny. The coach from our team, tried telling me he got it on video, but I know it would have surfaced by now so I'm 99.9% sure that I lucked out and not a single sole captured the moment on video. 

I would like to say the moral of the story is to stand up every time you fall... when in actuality it's just to know the strength of your own darn dog. Mine is obviously stronger than me. 

1 comment:

  1. I admit, I laughed. How could I not? I laughed when you told me the short version on my blog. Hilariousness. And yes, that video would have already made the rounds.

    ReplyDelete